Monday, May 5, 2008

Family

I have four "brothers" I grew up with. I refer to all of them as my brothers but only one is actually my half brother. The other four are cousins but we were all raised very closely. One of them is almost exactly a month older than me and we've gone from really close to all out fighting over the years, which isn't uncommon since we're so close in age. I love him and he's always been one of the people I've gone to for advice. My relationship with the mother of my child has grown since we became parents. We've gotten closer and we've gone back to being in a relationship. Not everyone thinks this is a good idea. I told my closest in age brother about all this and he just kinda walked away and nodded. Then, a few nights ago, my girlfriend came over to my place to pick up some stuff and he was there. Apparently she was nice to him and was trying to make conversation and he wanted no part of it, so she asked if something was wrong. He snapped and said that what was wrong is that she's just a phase for me and it'll be over in a month and he's sick of having to watch me do this to myself. I hear he said other things and it resulted in a bit of an argument because she just doesn't take crap from anybody. She defended me and us and stormed out and then he has the nerve to call me and twist the story to benefit his side. Of couse she told me what actually happened and in no way did she bad mouth him, all she said was there had been an argument and that maybe I needed to talk to him. So I talked to him and that resulted in another argument and here we stand on day two of the stand-off.
Never in my life have I butted into my family or friend's relationships. If they ask for my advice, I give it. I don't tell anyone what to do. I don't tell anyone I love that they're f*cking up and they need to realize it and move on. If someone I love is happy, I'm not gonna do anything to take that away. People make mistakes. But they have to make them on their own. And if this is a mistake, then it'll be one I made and I'll deal with. I've never asked him to pick up the pieces before and I won't do it if this doesn't work. The rest of my family is slowly finding out about our being back in a relationship and they've been nothing but supportive, so why can't he be? I know for a fact that not all of them agree with it but they trust me to make my own decision here. It just pisses me off that he can't see past my old constant f*ck up self and realize I've turned a corner. Now I'm just "adorably dysfunctional", as a friend of mine puts it. And I'm fine with that. Now if only he could accept this...