Tuesday, May 13, 2008

It's A Girl (Again)

Two days ago a couple of my friends had their first child, a girl. She's beautiful, (but then everyone says that about a kid they love, right?) and on the day she was born, I was having it out with the girlfriend. Not a huge blow-out but just the usual kinda stuff. Then, I called in the evening to let her know the baby was coming and that I was headed out to the hospital. While I was standing near the vending machines waiting with twenty other people for news, I got into a conversation with one of my female friends (sister of the new mom and Godmother of the new baby) about the last 12 months.
I've had family members and acquaintances start families before but the last couple of years, I've really spent most of my time with my group of close friends and none of us ever had any real attachments or kids. It was the whole classic living out your 20's scenario. It all changed two months ago. These past twelve months of expecting my daughter and theirs have been something all of us have lived out together. I don't think it really hit any of us just how much things would change until they finally did. One one hand, I feel sorry for the poor kids. They're gonna have to deal with a million aunts and uncles telling them what to do and what not to do for the rest of their lives. I have a million of those too and it's not the easiest thing. On the other hand, the more people around to love them and give them advice, the better. It's hard not to flash-forward though and wonder what this is all gonna be like in 18 years. I'm currently dealing with a teenager on the brink of her prom night and graduation as well as a two month old who does not want to sleep and it's interesting to see two lives beginning and another one entering the next chapter.
I feel old. lol. I just turned 27, which is stressful enough given I'm officially in the last leg of my 20's, but I feel a lot older than that already. The first half of my 20's was hell. The second half, so far, is going a lot better. I've got this amazing little people to (God-willing) watch grow up and one practice teen who is testing my patience more and more each day (I can't wait until her birthday in August).