Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Oh Hockey, Where Art Thou?


I am an AVID NHL fan. I become borderline obsessive about it once the season starts, going over team strengths and weaknesses and stats. July 1st is the day players can sign with new teams and it's like Christmas for me, I clear the date so I can watch updates about who ended up where. I. Love. Hockey. So I'm both peeved and sad that there is no hockey to watch right now. October 11th would be my Colorado Avalanche's first regular season game but that's obviously not going to happen. I don't think the NHL will play anymore hockey in the year 2012 and I'm starting to doubt there will be any in the first half of 2013. They lost an entire season in 2004 to arguing over a new CBA and no one seems all that interested in avoiding the same thing this season. They're fighting over money, of course, and neither the players or the owners and commissioner are blameless for things getting where they are. They all knew this was coming but chose to just cool their heels all summer instead of trying to work things out. I cannot stand the NHL's commissioner (I don't care for the commissioners of any of the four major sports, I think they're all idiots but maybe that's a pre-req for the job) because he doesn't seem to understand anything about hockey. I'm not even sure he likes hockey honestly, but he's determined to remain commissioner until he dies. I think in order to be the commissioner of a sport, you should have to have played or been involved in the sport in some way. You shouldn't just be able to say, 'You know what? I like hockey. I shall appoint myself king of hockey and make all the rules", but I digress. The commissioner went on every show that would have him after the last lockout proclaiming that revenues were up and that the CBA was working for everybody. So it's interesting that the NHL opened these negotiations with a laughable offer trying to dock the players salaries. If it worked for everyone then, why is it not working now? The problem with this dude is makes questionable decisions constantly and then uses CBA negotiations to try and correct (or not correct) those decisions. A friend of mine told me a few days ago that the players don't just want what they're entitled to out of these negotiations, ideally they want the commissioner forced out. I'm sure that won't happen but I guess you take your shot while you can.
The last time the NHL locked out, several of its players moved overseas to Sweden or Russia or Switzerland to play hockey, and the same thing is happening this time. I read an article this morning in my hometown newspaper about the newly appointed Colorado captain and a couple of other players making the move overseas this week. The article was very critical of the players who are on the move, saying that it hurts their case in negotiations if they're all "jumping ship" and moving overseas to play. Supposedly the writer thinks it takes away from that whole solidarity thing. I can't say I agree though. At this point, there is no reason for anyone to believe that there will be a season so what is the point of sitting at home and practicing everyday when you're not sure you'll even get the chance to play? Some of the big name players will draw large paychecks from moving overseas but it will be nothing compared to what they would be making in the NHL. Nor will the accommodations be as top notch as they are here. And the younger players will be playing for very little cash over there. These players aren't going for the money, they're going because they want to play hockey. Moving overseas isn't necessarily about a breakdown in solidarity or going for a cash grab, it's about not getting rusty. Even if they chose to stay here and wait it out and practice, that's not going to help them if a deal is struck and they have to be back on the ice in a game situation at the drop of a hat. Rusty hockey players aren't what people are paying to see. The NHL is making this harder on themselves with everyday they don't get a deal done because they won't be able to start the season until they get back all the players who went overseas, which also means getting them out of those contracts they signed to play there. It's gonna be a mess if it happens. But that's a big IF.