Friday, January 25, 2013

I Love You More Today Than Yesterday, But Not As Much As Tomorrow

We're going old school for this week's song. I first heard this as a kid in the car with my mother and siblings and it stuck in my mind for some reason. I first acquired my own version of it when I was in high school and bought a compilation CD that contained this track. It wasn't until a few years ago when I was going through iTunes to make sure all of my music had album covers that I realized it was sung by a man. Up until then, I thought it was sung by a black woman. (This happened several times during this iTunes update, me finding out that songs I loved and thought were sung by black people were actually sung by skinny white folk.) I had a similar issue with Elton John's "Don't Go Breaking My Heart". I always had this image in my head of the woman on that song, named Kiki Dee, being this fabulous black woman with a boa and very Tina Turner-esque. So imagine my shock when I catch the video for the first time and a young EJ is singing with a skinny white woman in pink overalls. I've never been able to see that song in the same light. Anyway, enjoy this one kids.

Dedicated to the birthday girl!