Saturday, May 28, 2011

Happy Family Time

Ah, family time. My mom, crazy aunt and favorite uncle are all in town this weekend and things started off with a bang. My mom spent time with my daughter and my uncle had some work stuff to take care of so that left me and crazy aunt to make our own mischief. I absolutely ADORE this woman. I can't even really find the words to explain how much, nor do I know why we bonded so instantly. When I was 4, I believed that Santa Claus came for both Christmas and birthdays even though my mom repeatedly told me that was a once a year thing. She finally got me to start to believe it as my birthday approached, only to have my crazy aunt show up at my birthday party wearing a Santa suit and bearing gifts. Now that is love. Unfortunately, this aunt and I lost touch until a few years ago so she missed out on quite a bit in my life. Well, nothing like making up for lost time.
I had plans to go to a friend's house to watch the hockey game and crazy aunt asked to tag along. She doesn't like hockey but she does like to meet my friends and she loves to drink. In hindsight, this is probably where the evening went wrong. See, I left out a bit about which friend's house we were going to. She and I dated for about 5 minutes a few years ago. We found out we made much better friends than lovers and it's been that way ever since. Not five minutes after we walk into the house my aunt starts talking about how the hostess is a nice girl and how we'd make a nice couple. At this point I started drinking. After about an hour of listening to this, I told my aunt about my history with the hostess and she turned her attention to why it didn't work out. Then she asked if it didn't work out because there were "sexual problems" and both the hostess and I took a shot together. Just because she kept going on and on, the more she drank. Then crazy aunt turned her attention to talking to the hostess' mom about why we should try dating again. Finally, as an encore, she showed a bunch of other younger party-goers how to take shots properly. After that we left and life began to take a turn back towards normal. She passed out on the couch, I woke her up and she was in bed by 10. And that was the big kickoff to the holiday weekend. Can't wait to see what comes next.