Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Oh What A Tangled Web I've Weaved...

So....In the year 2003 I met someone who changed my life dramatically. I remember the first time I saw her, it was something out of a movie on my end. She was coming off of a bad divorce and I was still reeling from the loss of my girlfriend but we decided to date anyway. In hindsight, we probably should have waited for everything to settle but the connection was very strong so we pursued it. It was a very old-fashioned kind of courtship and I really enjoyed that part. We dated for about a year and a half but I can't say it every really felt completely right. And that was weird because I knew from the moment I met her that she was meant to be in my life for a long time, but we just couldn't get it together. I admit that a big part of our break-up was me and my insecurity about our 12-year age difference. But it was also about her wanting to have a family and my not being ready for that at that point in my life.
Flash forward to the year 2007 and you'll find the two of us seeing each other again. Nothing serious, no strings and both in very different places in our lives. And there's about to be a gigantic tie that will bind us for the rest of our lives - she's pregnant. That's right boys and girls, the guy who just began working on himself and his issues will be a father in April. I didn't know how to take it at first but now that I've had the time to process it...I feel good. I feel like the one thing that could possibly make this whole process difficult is...my little problem. Or my major problem, now that there's another life involved. And it's gonna be rough to work it all out in nine months, or at least most of it so I can be a good father. And I know this is not the best situation to bring a child into but this is how it's meant to be, I really believe that. So...fatherhood.