Friday, July 19, 2013

That's Me In The Corner, That's Me In The Spotlight

Oh, the 90's. I have been unabashed about my love for thee. I still maintain no decade has had the same amount of diversity and just all around good music as the 90's. The Alternative was good, the Dance was good, the R&B was good, the Hip Hop was good, it was all good. After Cory Monteith's death last weekend, a lot of people put up tributes on YouTube showcasing his best "Glee" moments. I hadn't heard several of his performances from later seasons since I stopped watching in Season 2, but clicked on one of these tributes that was in the comments section of an article about his passing. It had something like twenty of his greatest songs performed on the show and most were pretty good. I've found that I either love or hate "Glee's" covers. Most of the first season was great, every season since has been hit or miss. Their cover of Amy Winehouse's "Valerie"? Awesome. Most of their Whitney Houston or MJ covers from special episodes? I could do without (although a few were good). I love covers when they're done right but I can't stand it when a song I consider a classic is butchered. I'm not sure what season it was in, but the show covered REM's "Losing My Religion" with Monteith on leads. I heard it for the first time this week and it's sent me on an Alternative 90's trip. This has always been one of my favorite songs. Some tracks just have that "oooooh, turn it up!" feel about them and the opening notes of this one make me feel that way.