Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Hey baby, what's your sign?

Is it hot for women to make the first move? Some guys want 'to be the man' and don't like it at all, (no clue why some dudes think it makes them less manly, but I digress). I am of the mind that, hell yes it's sexy IF it's done right (notice the big if). But I think pick-up lines are only good for amusing yourself and/or your friends because they're so ridiculous. I didn't think women relied on them so much given they are the smarter sex. But I was wrong.
Case A: "I'd like to see the sexy body that goes with that sexy mind." Two things wrong with this. One, it has given my friends an endless amount of ammo with which to torture me. I ask for the t.v. remote and I get, "Sure. Here you go sexy man." I wonder aloud if I feel like getting my coffee hot or iced and the reply is, "Iced. You must be burning up from all your sexiness, you need to cool down." (That one was said in someones outside voice while inside a packed coffeehouse...yeah, that was just awesome.) The second thing wrong with the line is that it's just so lame. If I went up to a woman and said it she would laugh in my face and not in a good way (unless she was like an uber-nerd or something). I know it can be hard to know what to say to someone, I'm a shy dude, I get it. But if you wouldn't respond to it being used on you, then you probably shouldn't use it on someone else (if it's a general line, not a gender specific one).
Case B: "You look large." Now I know what you're thinking, that it was just an innocent comment she uttered while handing me a t-shirt and my gutter mind turned it dirty. But when I fill in the details about how it was said, "You look...large" followed by her looking directly at my crotch as she said the last part...well, now you see my point. It was not hot. Nor was her attempting to grab my ass and look up my shirt while I was standing on a ladder. This one is annoying on so many levels, primarily the whole violation of personal space one. It's like she thinks I didn't get what she meant by her line so she's trying to make it very obvious that she wants to...I'll spare you the details of what she wants to do. But seriously, I'm starting to miss the good old-fashioned days of like going steady and wearing someones letter jacket (and I wasn't even alive during those days). Simple stuff goes a long way sometimes.