Sunday, November 21, 2010

Let's Talk About Sex

You know the talk that you have with people before any of the real fun stuff goes down in a relationship? It is also commonly referred to as "The Talk" about past partners, whose been tested and when, contraception, etc. Since I've usually dated older women this talk has almost always been standard and obviously it's one you have to have at some point for safety's sake. It didn't occur to me that some women take offense when a guy brings it up. A friend mentioned it might be offensive because it triggers the, 'What, you don't trust me? Or do you just think I'm a slut?' part of the brain. But I don't buy that. If you're a mature adult (which, let's face it, not everyone is when it comes to sex) then that discussion shouldn't turn into a battle at all. I've had this conversation in many different ways (and that kinda makes me sound like a slut but 'many' is relative here). Sometimes it's just been a five minute convo about whether or not both parties have been tested with no explanation of past experiences or partners needed. Other times it's been more detailed and one at least one occasion, it's been discussed after the deed was done (better late than never...kinda). I don't have a problem telling someone that info because I have nothing to hide.
In the past week I've encountered (not a sex encounter, mind you) a woman who said she would be horribly offended if a dude brought up that subject prior to anything happening but she couldn't explain why she found it so offensive. And a friend of mine recently tried to have that talk with a woman he's dating and she got all bent and walked out with no explanation. I was curious as to whether there was a man alive who would be offended if a woman asked him the same thing. I thought no, right? Because men are supposed to just be happy they're getting any, no matter the obstacles involved. But actually a few of my girl friends say they've known at least one guy who took offense to having be tested at all. That seems weird. All that convo really means is that I want you to be safe and I would hope you want me to be safe so let's just get it all out there and get on with our lives. If I asked a woman about testing and such and she had a cow it would be a major red flag because I would wonder what it is that she's hiding, you know? If you have no issues (diseases, etc.) in that department then I don't think you should be offended at all, regardless of your gender.