Sunday, June 2, 2013

Leave A Penny, Take A Wish

Why is it the most mundane things make us seem more attractive? We went to a baseball game last night, then for dinner and drinks. I don't really drink anymore and I've cut out soda completely so I wasn't sure what I was drinking when the waitress asked. My smartass baby brother chimed in and told her I'd have a Shirley Temple in a sippy cup because I don't drink and am 32 going on 5. She said not to knock 32 because she was headed in that direction in a few months. When she came back with the drinks she overheard us talking about kids and wanted to see pictures, then pulled out pics of her nieces and nephews. She continued to flirt with me all night and asked for my number before we left. Then the best friend say to her, "Oh honey, he doesn't date younger women". The reply? "Oh that's okay, I usually date black guys...but I have a feeling you're black in all the right places babe". Awe. Some. Tis rare that I blush but that did it.

In other, more PG news, my niece is spending next summer with me. Or, I'm coming back to spend next summer with her. We're not sure of the specifics yet. But it's pretty damn exciting. It's amazing how quickly they grow up. I still remember the day she was born. I freakin' adored her even before I knew her. And now she's FOURTEEN! That is crazy to think about. We went out for lunch yesterday and it occurred to me just how grown up she is. In two years, she'll be driving. In four years, she'll be graduating. I still can't even wrap my head around that. But I'm incredibly fortunate to be a part of her life.

Finally, my uncle has become borderline addicted to the coffee at a certain gas station. He decided to stop while we were out and about and the total came to three dollars and change. He had three dollars in cash but short by about seven cents on the change. Fortunately, he saw one of those 'leave a penny, take a penny' things on the counter. Unfortunately, the clerk turned around to see him digging for change and said, "Um, sir...that's for the Make A Wish Foundation". He opted to pay with his card after that.