Monday, November 4, 2013

Who Dat, Who Dat, Who Dat Bitch

Kerry Washington rocked my world this weekend. I didn't get around to watching "Scandal" until Saturday and holy crap. That show never fails to have me picking my jaw up off the floor at the end of every episode. But this week's was seriously a humdinger (people still say that). The more I watch "Scandal", the more I realize it is just a telenovela wrapped up in a pretty bow for mainstream primetime. Hours after I watched the latest episode, I watched her host SNL. I tend to dip in and out of my SNL viewing anymore because the majority of the cast members now are subpar (but then we were spoiled in the 90's/early-2000's with all the talent that was there). I've only seen a couple of this season's shows but am still quite confident that Kerry Washington's was the best. She was beautiful (pregnancy suits her) and hilarious. Lately SNL tends to only put their hosts in less than a handful of skits, preferring to let their newbies carry everything else, and I don't know why. They're not all that great and people tune in to see the host and/or musical guest, not your "players". They're background and most can barely do that correctly. The opening skit mocked SNL's lack of diversity this season and has gotten mixed reviews. SNL hired six newbies during the summer and not a one of them has any color whatsoever. In fact, there are only two non-white cast members, both men, which presents quite the problem in mocking politics since the President and First Lady are both African-American. Is it a shame SNL didn't take advantage of a golden opportunity to add diversity to the cast? Yes. But it's not exactly surprising. This is the same show that had a non-African-American actor caked with dark makeup to play the President for a number of seasons. I though the opening skit was funny but maybe that's because my expectations could not be lower for SNL in general. Am I saying SNL should've cast more minorities just for the sake of it? Not at all. But I find it hard to believe that in their summer-long audition process, not one of the best people they saw were minorities. It's also a bit disturbing to think that these six people were the funniest yet they've mostly only played bit one or two-line parts in the occasional skit. That doesn't bode well for the future o' comedy. I can't find any of her other skits (NBC is all kindsa bitchy about not letting that show end up on YouTube unless they post it). But here's the highlight.