Sunday, December 20, 2015

Talk Nerdy To Me

I'm not what one would call a "Star Wars" aficionado. I don't even remember the first time I saw the original films, though I am told I was around 10 years old and it wasn't exactly love at first sight. I didn't get it and so I didn't watch them again in their entirety until prequels came out. Even though I still wasn't a huge fan, I did finally understand why they were such a big deal. When I heard a new set of films was on the way, I was meh about it. And then I saw the first trailer for "The Force Awakens" and I was hooked. But I was also cautious because I anxiously awaited "Jurassic World" and it disappointed me. Though I am a fan of JJ Abrams work, I didn't want to see Episode VII screw up an entire franchise by trying to be hip and appeal to the kids. Fortunately, when you have a billion fans who are guaranteed to buy tickets no matter what, you don't have to cater to the kids. And Abrams didn't. In fact, not only did he stay true (and pay homage) to the classic films, but he opened the door for some intriguing future storylines. I expected to like TFA, but it was a pleasant surprise to love it. It's rare that a film nerd such as myself is impressed by a movie, but the film nerd, the Star Wars fan and the movie fan in me all loved every minute of it (though I do think the villain Kylo Ren was terribly miscast). I can't wait to see it again. Other thoughts on the movie and theater experience:

~ Movies are frickin' expensive. As a kid, we'd see movies at the $1.50 theater and I doubt the whole theater experience for four kids and two adults cost more than $25. We saw today's movie early and decided to forgo 3D so tickets were relatively cheap. (Btw, you don't need 3D for TFA. It wasn't shot in 3D and it's not mind blowing enough effects-wise to justify the higher ticket price). I don't drink soda and I don't eat movie popcorn, so I skipped the concession line but noticed the ridiculous prices of ish. Four bucks for a box of candy that cost a dollar at the store. Five bucks for a bottle of water that cost two dollars at a store. My nephews insisted on both soda and popcorn (with they money, not ours) and just that cost over twenty bucks. If a family of six went to see a movie today, tickets alone would be well over $30. Add concessions, even just sodas, and you're looking at almost $75 for a single movie trip. Helllllll no.

~ I don't mind people who save seats for others at big event movies, so long as it's within reason. Saving one or two seats is fine by me. Saving half a row or more is a no go. Ya'll need to meet in the damn lobby if you're gonna do that ish and go in together. This didn't really matter to me today because the dude saving seats was further up than where we wanted to be, but it was still annoying. Also, if you're gonna bring a big family or group to a big event movie, do everyone a favor and show up mofo early. We had a decent sized group and got into the theater 30 minutes early to make sure we could choose good seats. Not ten minutes after that, the theater was almost entirely full with just a few stray seats available. Then, in walks a family of seven who were just shocked that there were no seats together for them to take. After that, a group of six walks in and is equally shocked by the lack of seating. After the previews began, someone on the other side of the theater needed a single seat and for some reason brought an usher with them to find one. Although there were many single seats available, the usher asked an entire row to shift down one seat a piece so this person could sit on the end. The people on the very end refused to move, prompting the other person to say she wanted an end seat. The early birds said they did too, that's why they arrived on time and the woman had to sit elsewhere - but not before disrupting an entire theater. As if that weren't enough, two more dudes showed up during the opening scene of the actual movie and wandered around the dark theater complaining loudly about how there were no more seats together. So, to recap, don't be a jackass who shows up late and then bitches about crap that's your own fault.

Turn. Off. Your. Damn. Phone. How this is still an issue in theaters is baffling. Contrary to what some people seem to think, our phones are not glued to the palms of our hands. And if you're sitting in a theater to see a two and a half hour movie, I'm guessing you got nowhere else pressing to be so why are you not at the very least turning your phone to vibrate? They tell you this before the movie, common sense should tell you it even before then. Some dick sitting behind us left his phone on and it went off at full volume during a crucial point in the film and he was in no hurry to silence it. I don't understand people sometimes.

~ Sharing things with your kids is just freaking magical and I don't care how nerdy that makes me sound. Miss N and Mr. R are about the same age and experiencing all things Star Wars for the first time and it's nifty to see. And even better, they're both totally into it. They want the toys, they act out the movies, it's adorable. This dad business is the coolest thing ever. *runs out to acquire more kids*