Friday, October 18, 2013

My Only Bleedin' Hope Is For The Folk Who Can't Cope With Such An Enduring Pain That It Keeps 'Em In The Pouring Rain

This week's song ties in with this weekend's premiere of TLC's biopic on VH1. I am tres excited about it, actually. I remember seeing the first trailer back in September, which focused mostly on the music, and thinking the casting was pretty damn good and the recreations of their videos were spot on. I came across the second trailer at the beginning of the month and it showed more of the acting and didn't look half bad. On the one hand, it's unacceptable that a group I grew up with is getting a biopic. I remember watching VH1's biopics on The Temptations and Ricky Nelson growing up. On the other hand, it seems as if everyone's far enough removed from Left Eye's death that we can watch how everything unfolded. I watched VH1's "Last Days Of Left Eye" awhile back and thought it was great but sad. The ending has always stuck with me, and the reasons for that are probably obvious. It's always a shame when someone is cut down in their prime, but it's different when it's something like a car accident or a plane crash. When drugs are involved, although it is a disease, it's a bit less tragic because we all know what happens when you play with fire, especially those who have the means and opportunity to get clean. Was Left Eye controversial and did she have some of those issues? Yeah. But she met her end while attempting to do something good for the less fortunate. I think the sense of loss was compounded given Aaliyah's death nine months (to the day) earlier.
I knew prior to seeing the movie trailer that TLC remains the best selling female group of all time but was unaware that the FanMail tour is the best selling tour by any female group in history. I remember wanting to go to that show so badly but never did get around to it. Years later, I tracked down a DVD of the show and it was pretty good. Despite their differences, the three of them had an undeniable chemistry that none of us really quite appreciated until Left Eye was no longer here. This year would have been the group's 20th anniversary. Chilli and T-Boz are apparently making the rounds with some newbie but I'm not into all that. I get why they're doing it and all, but I prefer my TLC with the original lineup. Thanks to YouTube, the past 20 years and their greatest performances live on.